Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Gratitude

I've been meaning to post this for a few days, and I'm glad that now I'm finally getting to it.

I feel really excited to post my gratitude for some very specific people in my life, because of their unsolicited support of me.

First and foremost are my sister Sunny Jo and her husband James. I was thinking the other day about all of my shenanigans through the past few years, and they've had a supportive hand at all times in the things I've been doing. When I hated my job, James gave me one with him. Every time I've "started working out" they've forgotten my past failures and have cheered me constantly through my efforts. Recently, James hooked me up with a free personal trainer and diet plan with which I've lost 25 lbs. Sunny called me the other day with an incredible temp job that will save my butt this month, because she "just thought of me." When I decided to become a professional Tarot reader, James sent me my first paying client. To this day, Sunny Jo cooks for me to keep me pumped on a healthier lifestyle. Sunny Jo stands up for me and defends me when others misunderstand my intentions or actions - even though our belief systems (mine and Sunny's) are totally contrasting. James sent me a random text 2 days ago saying that he's proud of me and has always thought I was beautiful - totally out of the blue. They're just good people. They've positively affected every aspect of my life through simply personal gestures of love and service. And I see them do this with others every day.

Also, Lisa Ross-Walker. For some reason I'm not clear on, she's my biggest fan and my greatest marketer for my Tarot business - and what's strange is that she's one of the people in my life that I most look up to. At first I almost idolized her - I found it hard to talk to her normally because she has always seemed so powerful and wise. And then, out of the blue, she's in my Tarot class as one of my students. She's sending people to me left and right to get readings and to take classes. She's arranging for me to attend parties as a reader. She talks about me to her hair dresser, her mechanic, everyone! It's mind-blowing! And I'm eternally grateful for her support and love. The other day, she told me that a friend of hers asked if I was her daughter and she said, "On some levels, yes." What a compliment!

People like these, in my life - people of pure love and service for others - are the reason why lately, I can just sit down, in the middle of the day, and smile and just bask in the beauty of life. Life is SO good. People truly are goooooooooood!!!! In a world of chaos and nonsense, distractions and contentions, I've been blessed with a whole family and network of loving, giving, nurturing human beings.

As a child I was obsessed with individuality and separation from others. I hated playing in groups, I was terrified of crowds, and meeting new people was akin to electrocution. Speaking in public was simple, because I was separated from the audience. But playing on a team was nerve-wracking. I used to wonder to myself, "Who cares about other people? I just want to live my life alone and do my thing. I'll interact with people as necessary but never more than is absolutely requisite for survival!"

I still struggle with idle interaction with others. I still struggle to achieve a balance between inner and outward focus. BUT - and this is the point - when I experience first-hand the blessings of being surrounded by purely loving people, I SEE why I want others in my life! It's so obvious to me why relationships are the key to happiness! Nothing in my life has brought me the peace that unjudging support has/does.

In Tarot, the 9 of Pentacles shows a successful woman, standing in her marvelous vineyard, alone with her falcon - a falcon she commands at will. She is master and Goddess here. She holds all power and all levels of success and abundance. Except ... she's the 9 - and not the 10 - because she's alone. It's a card of total success for oneself. The 9 of cups is a similar card, showing a smug man sitting in front of his many grails in life, content, satisfied and even pleased with his success.

The 10 of pentacles, though, and also the 10 of cups, shows the complete truth of success. In these cards, there is no one alone - they are the cards of dynasty, family happiness, fulfillment through relationships, joy being full only because it is shared with others. Tarot captures the truth that the end of the rainbow is found in the company of others. The pot of gold is found within the heart of loved ones.

My God! Am I ever blessed!!!


No comments: