Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

My Owl Totem Story

Oh, I tried to sleep tonight. It's already 5 AM and I tried to go to bed at 4, but I lied in bed feeling inclined to post my newest learning. Which will be my next post. This one is a shorty that comes first!

Several months ago I was given a reading where the Owl was identified as an animal totem for me. For those who don't know, an animal totem is a specific family of animal or species that has habits, adaptations and lifestyles that one can study and learn valuable lessons about life from. Any person can have a number of totems that either follow them through life, or that pop up for short periods to teach them something.

Now it's a long story, so I'm going to whittle it down, but it's fun and meaningful to encounter a totem in the wild. It's fun because it's like tangible evidence that the real, actual animal is aware of you. So! I've been thinking for about a week that I'd like to go sit in the mountains and see if I could hear or see an owl. I've never seen or heard one in real life that I can remember. I never really even remember seeing any at any zoos or anything. For the past week I've been glued to clips of owls on YouTube.

So tonight I went running on the Provo Canyon trail with my sister Crystal. I had my MP3 player on as I ran. We went late, and it got dark as I was running. When I turned back and met up with Crystal, I turned my MP3 player off and we walked the last mile or so back to the car. We were just chatting and then I heard it! "WHOOo hoo hoho hoo ohhoooooohoo hoohoo" Ha ha. From what I've watched on YouTube it sounded like Great Horned Owl!! Far away from us I think, but we called out and said, "YO! Come down here so I can see you!" He didn't come down, but that didn't matter! He TOTALLY was hooting for me. I'm so stoked because it wasn't like I went and sat in the woods and meditated on owls or anything - I was just out exercising and I turned off my MP3 player right before I heard the hoots. Cute, huh!?!?

I also tried to tempt him down by claiming I had a skunk with me, because skunk is one of my totems too, and is the favorite food of the Great Horned owls. But, it was a lie, so naturally the wise old owl didn't fall for it!

Yay?

Yay!

No comments: